Crossley Brothers Limited 1881 - 2009

Nationality:
British

Head Office and The Otto gas Engine Works, Openshaw, Manchester: active from c1887- ; In addition: Errwood Park Works, Heaton Chapel, Stockport from c1915; Stores and Workshops 231 & 232 Upper Thames Street London EC (1932); western half the site became the Crossley Motors managed National Aircraft Factory No 2 built in 1917, purchased from the government in 1919, becoming the Willys Overland Crossley plant and was eventually sold to Fairey Aviation in 1934. In 1938 The eastern side became another aircraft factory, this time managed by Fairey, and after the second world war became the final home of Crossley Motors; 1938: factory in Reddish, east of Errwood Park; 1965/6: factory closed; 1919: Crossley Brothers bought Premier Gas Engines of Sandiacre, Nottingham; 1935: changed name to Crossley Premier Engines Ltd. c1962: Bellis and Morcom Ltd purchased company but name Crossley-Premier was kept; 1968: company joined the Amalgamated Power Engineering (APE) group, becaming APE-Crossley Ltd; 1981: APE became part of Northern Engineering Industries (NEI) and company name became NEI-Allen Limited - Crossley Engines; NEI taken over by Rolls-Royce plc and company became part of the Allen Power Engineering - Crossley Engines division of the Rolls-Royce Industrial Power Group; became Crossley Engines division of Rolls-Royce Power Engineering continuing to produce the Crossley-Pielstick range until 1995; engines still made at the Pottery Lane factory, now known as Crossley Works; 2009: Crossley Works closed and remaining production moved to Rolls-Royce site in Dunfermline.