Henry Dixon 1820 - 1893

Nationality:
British

From 1860 to 1862, Dixon had a studio in Bayswater, London. From 1864 to 1886, he operated from a studio at 56 and then 112 Albany Street N.W. In 1887, the firm changed its name to Henry Dixon & Son. Henry Dixon, in collaboration with Alfred and John Bool, made carbon prints from negatives taken by the Bools. They were employed by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to photograph threatened buildings. The society was formed in 1875 and consisted of architects and antiquarians who wished to preserve a record of historic buildings facing demolition. In 1875, Dixon along with Alfred and John Bool, photographed the Oxford Arms Inn near St. Paul's Cathedral, London. In 1879, Dixon and his son T. J. Dixon began to photograph as well as print the series of architectural views that were distributed annually to the members of the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London. Member of the Photographic Society (later The Royal Photographic Society) from December 1875.