Deptford Royal Dockyard 1513 - 1869

Nationality:
British

1513 - because of a threat of attack from France, Henry VIII decided to build two new royal dockyards on the Thames, at Woolwich and Deptford. 1570 - privately owned ropeworks were set up to supply rope for rigging. 1574 - dry docks fitted with flood gates for the first time. 1586 - Peter Pett appointed Master Shipwright. 1588 - dockyard expanded using large expanse of marshland. 1595 - first Repulse launched. 1610 - the Great Dock was lengthened and enlarged. 1620 - a second dry dock was built. 1623 - a third dry dock was authorised. 1634 - Phineas Pett oversaw the building of the Sovereign of the Seas which took three years to complete. 1667 - the dockyard destroyed by a massive fire. 1698 - Tsar Peter the Great of Russia visited and studied shipbuilding. 1716 - a new dry dock built. 1725 - additional land acquired for expansion. 1734 – more land acquired for expansion. 1738 - a large fire occurred. 1739 - carpenters and joiners went on strike over the threatened abolishment of ‘right of chips’. 1743 - The Victualling Board established its main depot at Deptford. 1744 - additional land acquired for expansion. 1758 - shipwrights set up a butcher’s shop. 1793 - a large fire occurred. 1810 - Queen Charlotte launched. 1821 - only maintenance work was carried out at the dockyard. 1822 - the wooden paddle steamer Comet launched. 1823 - the paddle steamer Lightning launched. 1830 - only shipbreaking was carried out. 1844 - dockyard re-opened for ship building. 1864 - the iron-clad Favourite launched. 1869 - the screw corvette HMS Druid launched, becoming the final ship built at Deptford. Dockyard closed permanently.