Aberdare Valley Railway 1855 - 1864

Nationality:
British

Incorporated on 2 July 1855, this line bridged the 1.5-mile gap between a canal basin at Hirwain and the Middle Dyffryn colliery. Authorized in broad gauge, the line was sponsored by the VNR which was empowered to work it from its opening in November 1856. Formal transfer was authorized by an Act of 21 July 1859, carried out under and Agreement dated 2 April 1864.