Horncastle Railway 1854 - 1922

Nationality:
British

Originally incorporated as the Horncastle & Kirkstead Railway, its name changed on 10 July 1854. Opened for light goods on 11 August 1855 and general traffic on 26 September. Although the line was worked by the GNR from the outset, and that company requested a take-over in 1920, it remained independent until 1923.