St Audry's Hospital 1829 - 1993
- Ipswich, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom
First buildings opened in 1767 as 'Melton House' providing care for the poor, 1826 all in mates 'returned to their villages and hamlets' 1926-1929 buildings were converted and became an asylum for 130 patients named Suffolk county Asylum. 1874 held 450 patients,1890 reforms brought about by the 'Lunacy Act' more buildings erected. 1907 the asylum was renamed Suffolk District Asylum. 1924 the name St Audry's appears in the annual report. 1948 fell under central control of the NHS, has 1100 patients and 280 staff at this time. Hospital closed in 1993.