Anglesey Central Railway 1863 - 1876

Nationality:
British

Incorporated on 13 July 1863 to build a railway between Gaerwen and Amlwch, the first 4.5 miles (Gaerwen-Llangefni) opened on 16 December 1864, though not to the public; that was on 12 March 1865, and on 3 June 1867 throughout. The company tried to persuade the L&NWR to buy or lease the line; it decided to buy, for £80,000 with effect from 1 July 1876 (Act of 24 July). The line closed to goods on 1 December 1964 and to passengers on 7 December but is still open to traffic from Amlwch.