Barnstaple & Ilfracombe Railway 1870 - 1874

Nationality:
British

Incorported as a light railway on 4 July 1870, this spectacular but heavily graded line of 14 miles 6 furlongs was run by the L&SWR from its opening on 20 July 1874. Amalgamated with the working company under an Act of 16 July 1874, the track was doubled in 1889-91, and closed to passengers on 5 October 1970.