Colne Valley & Halstead Railway 1856 - 1922

Nationality:
British

Authorized by an Act of 30 June 1856, with an extension to Haverhill authorized by another Act of 13 August 1859. The line opened from Chappel to Halstead on 16 April 1860, to Castle Hedingham on 1 July 1861, to Yeldham on 29 May 1862, and to Haverhill, where the line was to link with the GER, on 19 May 1863. The company remained independent until Grouping when it passed to the LNER.