Lancaster & Preston Junction Railway 1837 - 1859

Nationality:
British

Authorised on 5 May 1837. Opened ceremonially on 25 June 1840 and to the public the following day. It was run by the North Union Railway until 1842, when it turned to the Bolton & Preston Railway until the company leased itself to the Lancaster Canal Company from 1 September 1842. The railway fell into such a bad state that the Inspecting Officer ordered for improvements to be made. The company regained possession and re-leased itself to the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway from 1 August 1849, with the L&CR finally taking over entirely from 10 September 1859.