Photographic archive of the premises, work and products of the Putney Motor Co. and the subsequent Ailsa Craig companies.

Made:
1902-1964
maker:
Putney Motor Company Ltd.
,
Ailsa Craig Ltd.
and
Craig Dörwald Company

unknown
Copyright holder unknown

The collection consists of 2 boxes of material relating to the various Ailsa Craig companies (c.1904-c.1964). There are 28 conserved photographs, 170 unconserved in ‘L’ series, and 24 unconserved (not in ‘L’ series). The photographs depict factories, showrooms, workshops, display stands and staff of the various Ailsa Craig companies, as well as their products (including engines, tractors, drays, cranes, cars, boats and hydroplanes).

There are 7 items in the miscellaneous series, including 2 Ailsa Craig publicity leaflets (How the Crew of the HMS ‘Sappho’ was Rescued, and IMP Stationary Oil Engine), and typescript texts with accompanying publicity leaflets (A New Auxiliary Motor Outfit for Yachts and Auxiliary Motor Device for Yacht ‘Owl’). There are also 3 printed publications: Robert Kisch, The Craig-Dorwald Commercial Vehicles (1972), Robert Kisch, Brief Overview of the Putney Motor Co, Robert Kisch and Christopher Kisch, Ailsa Craig Ltd, History (1999). There is also a list of photographs in the ‘L’ sequence (compiled by Robert Kisch).

The Ailsa Craig collection relates to a number of locations in the UK and overseas, including London (Olympia, Putney, Chiswick, Richmond, Isleworth, Twickenham), Ashford, possibly Southampton, Wast Water (Lake District), Jersey, Trinidad, possibly Singapore, Luarca (Spain), Barcelona, Sweden, possibly Hobart (Australia), and Jaffa (Tel Aviv, Israel).

Details

Extent:
0.65 m (2 boxes)
Identifier:
AILSA
Access:
The collection is available for public consultation according to the Science Museum Library and Archives Policy in our reading room at Wroughton.
System of Arrangement: