Dog ornament (spaniel) moulded from gutta-percha, made by the Gutta Percha Company, Islington, London, England, 1850-1900.
Gutta-percha was introduced to Britain by a surgeon, Dr Montgomerie, who presented it to the Royal Society of Arts in 1843 after returning from Malaya (now Singapore), where he had seen it being used to make knife handles and other items. Gutta-percha could be softened in hot water, then moulded into shape before being left to cool and harden. Gutta-percha was also discovered to have electrical insulating properties against water, which meant it was used to insulated the cables for trans-ocean telegraphy, including the transatlantic cables, until the discovery of polythene in the 1930s.
- Plastics and Modern Materials
- Object Number:
- Donated by H. F. Wilson
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.