Green ribbed poison shop round for morphine with indented painted label in red, gold, black and white.144 mm x diameter 52 mm. Label reads 'LIQ:/MORPH:HYD:'. Empty. Unknown maker, Europe, 1701-1935.
‘LIQ: MORPH. HDY’ is printed on this green ridged glass bottle. It is abbreviated Latin for “Solution of morphine”. Morphine was first isolated in 1803 by German pharmacist Friedrich Sertürner (1783-1841). The name refers to Morpheus, the ancient Greek god of dreams. It is a powerful painkiller that also induces drowsiness and sleepiness and is still extensively used today.
Morphine’s use rose dramatically after the hypodermic needle was developed in the 1850s, which allowed it to be injected directly. Morphine is highly addictive. However, it was sometimes prescribed for alcohol or opium addiction.
- Medical Glass-ware
- Object Number:
- shop round
- Wellcome Trust
- Loan: Wellcome Trust
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.