Ward's improved recumbent chair, by John Ward, 246 Tottenham Court Road, London, England, 1880-1900.
This is a Ward’s recumbent chair for invalids. Recumbent means it can move into a reclining position. It was found in a storeroom at the headquarters of the British Red Cross in Oxford. It was made by designer John Ward. He was based in London’s Leicester Square in the late 1800s. He had exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851. His voluminous recumbent chairs were described there as “spring stuffed and covered with Utrecht velvet”. They could be used as armchairs or converted into daybeds for invalids or recovering patients.
- Object Number:
- invalid chair
- furnishing and equipment
- furnishing - artefact
- seating furniture
- Page, J M
- Loan: Wellcome Trust
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.