Watson-Odelca photo-fluorographic x-ray set for mass miniature radiography (100mm images), with safety monitor, by Watson and Sons (Electro-Medical), London, Old Delft, Holland, 1961
Mass miniature radiography was used to diagnose tuberculosis in Britain from 1936 onwards – in an attempt to control the disease by catching those affected as early as possible. People who appeared outwardly healthy might still show signs of tuberculosis, such as lesions in the chest, and so could spread the disease. This cream coloured machine produced X-ray images that were just 100 mm high. If physicians were unsure about a miniature X-ray when viewed on a projector, the patient was sent to hospital for a full chest X-ray.
This machine was used at Ilford Chest Clinic, just outside of London. The machine was made by Watson & Sons (Electro-Medical) Ltd and N.V. Optische Industrie (De Oude Delft), specialist makers of X-ray equipment and optical technology.
- Object Number:
Safety Monitor: 316 mm x 377 mm x 165 mm,
- x-ray machine
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- King George V Hospital
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.