Diagnostic X-ray set, London, England, 1924-1929

Made:
1924-1929 in London
maker:
A E Dean and Company Limited

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Diagnostic X-ray set comprising: "Pedestal group" control unit; induction coil; Zenith interruptor-rectifier and
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Diagnostic X-ray set comprising: "Pedestal group" control unit; induction coil; Zenith interruptor-rectifier and
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Diagnostic X-ray set comprising: 'Pedestal group' control unit; induction coil; Zenith interruptor-rectifier and 'Scott-Dean' diagnostic couch (incomplete), by Alfred E. Dean and Co. London, late 1920s

London; Leigh Place, Brooke St., Holborn

The portable X-ray machine shown here was bought by Dr Noel Hypher for £100 in the late 1920s. Dr Hypher ran a private practice and used this X-ray machine to treat and diagnose a range of patients. He transported the X-ray equipment and visited patients from the local TB clinic, dentist and veterinary practice. The portable unit was used on race horses too. During the Second World War, the machine was used to check for metal weakness in Spitfire and Hurricane aeroplanes.

The diagnostic X-ray set, complete with control unit and diagnostic couch, was made by Alfred E. Dean and Co. London. It was donated to the Science Museum by Dr. Hypher’s son in 1987.

Related people

Details

Category:
Radiomedicine
Object Number:
1987-778
Materials:
metal, wood
Measurements:
couch: 770 mm x 2100 mm x 700 mm,
type:
x-ray set
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
credit:
Hypher, T.J.
status:
Permanent collection

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.