Potter Bucky diaphragm, sectioned, English, 1940-1950
Early X-ray plates were blurred due to the scattering of rays by body tissue. Radiologists Gustav Bucky (1880–1963) and Hollis E. Potter (1880-1964) worked independently on this problem from about 1913. A section of the resultant Bucky-Potter Diaphragm is shown. It was placed between the patient and the X-ray film. Parallel lead strips move across inside the wooden casing during an exposure. They block scattered rays travelling at other angles. The lead strips are not visible on the X-ray film because they are moving. The device was first marketed in 1921. It has become standard equipment on X-ray tables.
- Object Number:
- x-ray accessory
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- x-ray machine
- Hypher, T.J.
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.