Cine-radiography set, England, 1950-1951

Made:
1950-1951 in Wembley
maker:
Watson & Sons (Electro-Medical) Limited

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

High Voltage 35mm cine-radiography set comprising stand, tube, cine camera, couch, stool, transformer, control unit and accessories, by Watson and Sons (Electro-Medical), East Lane, Wembley (Middlesex) London, c.1951

In 1951, this machine exhibited in the Dome of Discovery at the Festival of Britain on London’s South Bank. It was presented as an example of ‘the technical progress in the British X-ray industry’. It allowed Watson & Sons to showcase this complex cine-radiography set. The set consists of a 35mm cine camera, projector, X-ray tube, a patient’s couch and a radiographer’s stool. Only two machines of this type were manufactured. This one was used as a diagnostic tool at the Chemical Defence Establishment at Porton Down, Wiltshire. The machine films joint or lung movement. It can also monitor a barium meal as it moves around the body. A physician or radiologist replays the film to make a diagnosis. The machine was developed in collaboration with Dr Russell J Reynolds (1880-1964) who pioneered using cine-radiography from 1921.

The 35mm cine camera was made by Newall Engineering Company Limited, Peterborough, England. The X-ray tube was made by Machlett Laboratories in the US.

Related people

Details

Category:
Radiomedicine
Object Number:
1979-684
type:
cine-radiography set
status:
Permanent collection

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.