Liebreich ophthalmoscope in case, by J. Weiss and Son Limited, 62 Strand, London, England, 1855-1865.
An ophthalmoscope is used to view the retina of the eye. It was invented in 1851 by Herman von Helmholtz (1821-94). This simple ophthalmoscope was adapted by pioneering German ophthalmologist Richard Liebreich (1830-1917). It was made by J. Weiss and Son of London. It is seen here with two pairs of spectacles. These correct long or short sightedness in the observer, two conditions that could affect the physician’s ability to diagnose by sight.
- Object Number:
- case, leather, covered, case, velvet, lined, case, wood, instrument, ivory, instrument, metal
overall (specs): 25 mm x 130 mm x 20 mm,
overall (ophthalmoscope): 95 mm 40 mm, .13kg
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- ophthalmic equipment
- ophthalmic instrument
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.