Richardson's ether spray
The Richardson spray was originally used to spray ether to give a local anaesthetic, especially during tooth extraction. The spray is named after its inventor, Benjamin Ward Richardson (1828-1896). He invented the spray in 1866. The air is pushed through using the hand pump, which forces the liquid ether out of the nozzle. Joseph Lister (1827-1912) later adapted this spray for use in antisepsis. It is believed that this is the only surviving spray of this type.
- Object Number:
- bottle, glass, bulbs, rubber, nozzle, metal, stopper, cork, stopper, metal, tubing, metal, tubing, rubber
- ether spray
- Loan: Wellcome Trust
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.