Bottle of Behring's diphtheria remedy, by Meister, Lucius and Bruning of Hoechst, from captured German battleship, First World War
This is a bottle of diphtheria antitoxin developed by Emil Adolf Behring (1854-1917) in 1891. He refined this treatment again in 1913. This bottle of “Behring’s diphtheria remedy” was taken from a German battleship during the First World War, the first major conflict where more troops died from their wounds rather than disease. This was partly due to vaccination.
- Materia Medica & Pharmacology
- Object Number:
- furnishing and equipment
- container - receptacle
- Loan: Wellcome Trust
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.