Engraving of the Oxford Physic Garden by David Loggan, 1675, from 'Oxonia Illustrata'
Physic gardens were a common feature in the 1700s. They were used to grow plants for drug preparations and were arranged according to the properties of the plants they contained. For example, plants with spiky leaves were likely to be grouped together.
The Oxford Physic Garden was founded in 1621 by Henry Danvers, the Earl of Danby. He donated £5,000 to set up the garden – the equivalent of £3.5 million today. It is the oldest garden of its kind in the United Kingdom. The garden is now known as the Oxford Botanic Gardens after a name change in 1840.
This print is from Oxonia Illustrata by David Logg (1633/5-92), engraver to Oxford University.
- Materia Medica & Pharmacology
- Object Number:
- visual and verbal communication
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.