Railway carriage, London & North Western Railway, Queen Alexandra's Saloon, No 801, built in 1902.
Queen Alexandra's Saloon was designed by J. C. Park and built at the London & North Western Railway Carriage Works at Wolverton.
Originally, the saloon was painted in the purple, brown, and cream livery of the L&NWR, with gold plated door handles and hand-painted royal coats-of-arms on the exterior. The headstocks were embellished with gilt-covered lions heads. The livery was repainted during World War II to its current London, Midland & Scottish Railway red in order to make it less conspicuous.
Internally, the arrangments included a day saloon, two dressing rooms, a bedroom, lavatory, and two vestibules at each end. When the carriage was first built there were two beds, the second being for Queen Alexandra's daughter the Princess Victoria.
After the accession of George V the carriage, along with its 'twin', King Edward VII's saloon, was modernised for the new king and his Queen Consort Mary. Modern bathroom fittings were added and the decor redesigned to Queen Mary's taste.
If you are visiting to see this object, please contact us in advance to make sure that it will be on display.
- Locomotives and Rolling Stock
- Object Number:
- railway carriage
- vehicles and vehicle components
- rolling stock
- British Rail, Historical Relics
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.