Henley's magneto electric double needle telegraph, made by the Magnetic Telegraph Company, England, 1848-1852.
This telegraph system, which did not require a battery for operation, was patented in 1848 by W T Henley and T Forster. Instead of a battery, the instrument was powered by magnets and electro-magnetic currents, using pedal keys. The needles for indicating letters could only move in one direction, but the code was the same modified Morse code used by other telegraph systems.
- Object Number:
- component - object
- Donated by HM Postmaster General
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.