50-line manual telephone switchboard, made by Jones Brothers, Cincinatti, USA, 1879
This is an early example of an American peg-and-cord switchboard for telephones. This switchboard was one of the first to be installed in Norway by the Bell Company, after first being used in the United States. It was in use at Drammen from 1880-1889. The switchboard could support 50 subscribers, and above each socket was an indicator light that shows when a subscriber was calling.
- Object Number:
- bakelite, copper (alloy), iron, metal (unknown), paint, plastic (unidentified), wood (unidentified)
- component - object
- Donated by the Institution of Electrical Engineers
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.