Priestman oil engine, 1895, 3 h.p., 7" diameter x 10" stroke, incomplete, with accessories and spare parts detached, by William Dent Priestman, Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire, England, 1895
William Dent Priestman (1847-1936) became interested in internal combustion engines in the 1870s and began to manufacture petrol engines. Fearing the dangers of petrol, Priestman experimented with the use of lamp oil as an engine fuel. This was the first internal combustion engine to work succesfully on fuels heavier than petrol, and was sold from 1888 until 1904. Priestman's many patents included a vaporiser and reversing propellers.
- Heat Engines (non steam)
- Object Number:
overall (estimate): 1215 x 2100 x 1080 mm
- J. F. Vickerman
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.