Original Cruickshank's galvanic "Trough" or battery, made by R & G Knight, London, England, 1801-1838.
This battery was designed in 1800 by William Cruickshank, as an improvement of Alessandro Volta's original battery design. It consists of 50 copper-zinc pairs mounted inside a wooden box in cells. Each cell is then filled with a salt solution or dilute acid. Batteries similar to this were used in the first electric telegraphs.
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Object Number:
- voltaic pile
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- Donated by C A Wells
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.