Glass ampoule of liquid chloroform, Paris, France, 1845-1945

Made:
1845-1945 in Paris
maker:
A Vicario

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Brown glass ampoule of chloroform. Ampoule alongside box. White perspex background.
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Brown glass ampoule of chloroform with cardboard box, made by A Vicario, Paris, France, 1854-1945

Chloroform was used as an anaesthetic from the late 1840s until the 1950s. Liquid chloroform was dropped on to a face mask or vaporised and inhaled by the patient through a face mask. The chloroform was prepared by a Parisian pharmacist, A Vicario. Once the potentially toxic nature of this anaesthetic had become apparent, it was used far more cautiously.

The vial was owned by Sir James Cantlie (1851-1926), a surgeon and medical administrator whose prestigious career included a leading role in setting up the London School of Tropical Medicine and the provision and training of ambulance services during the First World War.

Related people

Details

Category:
Anaesthesiology
Object Number:
A56873
Materials:
glass, paper
Measurements:
box: 18 mm 36 mm,
ampoule: 136 mm 23 mm, .061 kg
type:
ampoule
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • container - receptacle
  • vessel
credit:
Cantlie, N.
status:
Loan: Wellcome Trust

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.