Murphy's inhaler for chloroform anaesthesia in midwifery, no maker marked, 1850-1900
Edward William Murphy (1802-1877) invented this chloroform inhaler in 1848-1850. It was used for pain relief during medical procedures. The main drum held a sponge soaked with chloroform, the vapours of which were breathed in by the patient through the trumpet-shaped mouthpiece.
Murphy’s inhaler was mostly used in obstetrics and child birth as it was small and easy to use. It was portable and could be held by the patient instead of the doctor – so he was free to aid the birth. Chloroform was first used as a pain reliever in childbirth in 1847.
- Object Number:
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- University College Hospital, London
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.