Refracting telescope of 6 4/16-inch aperture and 74 inch focal length

Made:
1867-1871 in York and Munich
maker:
G and S Merz
and
T. Cooke & Sons

Refracting telescope of 6 4/16-inch aperture and 74 inch focal length with mahogany veneer wooden tube by G & S Merz, Munich, 1867-1871. Mounted on German equatorial stand with iron pier and clock drive by Thomas Cooke & Sons, York, dated 1871. Acquired in the 1860s by W. G. Lettsom and sold to Sir Cuthbert E Peek in 1882 who employed Charles Grover to make observation at Rousdon Hall, Devon until 1921. Given to the University of Durham in 1925 before returning to Rousden Hall in 1970, now established as All Hallows school.

Details

Category:
Astronomy
Object Number:
2001-404
Materials:
brass, glass, incomplete, iron, mahogany, pine
Measurements:
overall (estimate) assembled: 3000 x 1500 x 500 mm
type:
telescope - refracting
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
  • optical instrument
  • telescope
credit:
Rousdon Estate Limited

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.