Leather midwifery bag with handle and contents. Contents include 3 metal forecepts, 1 hook, 7 glass bottles, and other assorted tools. There are 5 square glass bottles with glass stoppers for opium tincture, brandy, ergot, and SP:AM:CO (spirit of ammonia) , now all empty. There are an additional 2 round glass bottles for chloroform and ether, which are clean. Made by Arnold and Sons, English, 1866-1900.
Destructive and non-destructive instruments are contained in this leather bag. It belonged to a male midwife. The tools were used during childbirth. The obstetric forceps were standard delivery tools. Others, such as the perforators, were destructive. Also in the bag are apparatus for anaesthesia and seven glass jars containing medication. These included chloroform and brandy. The obstetrician may have also carried opium and ergotamine. Opium relieved pain and ergotamine stopped the bleeding.
- Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Contraception
- Object Number:
- brass (copper, zinc alloy), cotton (textile), elastic, glass, leather, mahogany (wood), metal, paint, steel (metal), wood
overall (as displayed): 265 mm x 395 mm x 340 mm,
- midwifery bag
- Loan: Wellcome Trust
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.