Haydock Colliery Steam Engine
Single-cylinder condensing beam engine, made in about 1830 and latterly used at Haydock Colliery. This engine is thought to have been made for the Liverpool & Manchester Railway Company for use as a winding engine at Edge Hill. From about 1860, until it was taken out of service in 1950, this engine provided power for the woodworking shop at the Richard Evans Colliery maintenance depot at Haydock. Beam engine with 'D' slide valves, Parallel motion condenser, air pumps, Watt type about 15' long, flywheel 15' diameter in segments and arms with gear drive round rim. Erected at Haydock in 1863 to drive the saw mill of Richard Evans Colliery Maintenance department.
- Motive Power
- Object Number:
- steam engine
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- engine - power producing equipment
- Gift of National Coal Board
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.