Cast bronze plaque commemorating Henry Hunt, sculpted by John Cassidy.
This cast bronze wall plaque commemorates the role of Henry Hunt in the Peterloo Massacre. In 1842, a thirty foot monument to the memory of Hunt and the Peterloo victims was erected in the Round Chapel Cemetery on Every Street, Ancoats. It was dismantled in 1888 when it became unsafe. In 1908, the Manchester sculptor, John Cassidy, was commissioned to design this plaque as a replacement. The plaque hung in the Manchester Reform Club on King Street until 1987.
- Local History
- Object Number:
overall (upright, incl. wall screw): 1135 mm x 765 mm x 170 mm,
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.