W T Glover & Co Ltd
The company was established by Walter T. Glover in 1868, with premises at the Bridgewater Street Iron Works in Salford. The company originally made cotton-covered and braided, insulated copper wires for use on bell, signalling and telephone circuits. As trade developed, the company moved to the Springfield Lane Cable Works in 1880. At this time, factories and larger private homes were beginning to install electric lighting, which required better insulated cable. Glover's started to manufacture cables covered with between one and three layers of rubber strip, waterproof tape and compounded cotton braid. In the late 1880s, Glover's began to make lead sheathed cables for underground use. The company became a limited company and moved to Trafford Park in 1898, securing the exclusive rights for the supply of electricity to all the roads, streets and premises of Trafford Park. In June 1919, Glover's were taken over by Vickers Ltd. Although Vickers held the majority of the shares, Glover's kept its name and management. In 1929 the Vickers group was reorganised and the shares in Glover's were secured by Sir Tom Callendar of Callendar Cable and Construction Co. Some shares later went to W. T. Henley's Telegraph Works Ltd. and British Insulated Cables.
During the 1950s, the company developed high voltage submarine power cables, used to link centres of population with sources of generation. BIC (Submarine) Cables Ltd. was formed to manufacture and install the cables. Glover's submarine cables were used to link England and France, and the north and south islands of New Zealand. However, although the company appeared to be doing well, there was increasing competition to supply cables. The south side of the Trafford Parks works was integrated into the newly formed Wiring and General Cables Division of the British Insulated Cables Company (BICC). The Trafford Park factory was closed in 1970, but the Glover brand continues as part of BICC.