Royal Aircraft Establishment
The Royal Aircraft Establishment was a government department for aircraft development research and experiment, based in Farnborough Hampshire.
In 1918 The Royal Aircraft Factory was renamed to Royal Aircraft Establishment to avoid confusion with the Royal Air force. The establishment was initially the responsibility of the Ministry of Munitions before passing to the Air Ministry in January 1920.
Control of the establishment passed successively to the Ministry of Aircraft Production in 1940, the Ministry of Supply in 1946, the Ministry of Aviation in 1959 and the Ministry of Defence in 1964.
In 1988 it was renamed again to Royal Aerospace Establishment to reflect the broader scope of the organisations research at the time.