The company was established in 1890-1891 at Fenchurch Street, London. Manufacturing premises were opened in 1894 at 29 Market Place, Oxford Street. In 1900 they formed an alliance with Sheffield cutler R F Mosley and secured the use of Welbeck Works in Sheffield. Work was later moved to Birmingham and after 1909 the company became known as Alexander Manufacturing Company. In 1912 it became a limited company. The firm used the trade mark ‘Welbeck’ on its silver plate.