Midland Railway 1844 - 1922
Formed by the amalgamation of the MCR, the NMR and the B&DJR. Initially, MR's main line, now known as the Midland Main Line, connected the East Midlands to London and to Leeds. Eventually the Midland owned a large network of railway lines centred on the East Midlands, and the main lines connecting the East Midlands to Birmingham and Bristol, and another to Manchester. In the end, they were the only railway of the time to own or share lines in all of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. In 1923 they became part of London, Midland and Scottish Railway.