Furness Railway 1844 - 1922
The Furness Railway was a railway company operating in the Furness area of north-west England. The railway, which opened in 1844, originally ran from Kirkby-in-Furness to Dalton-in-Furness. Subsequent extensions took the railway to Ulverston (April 1854), and when the Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway was taken over, in 1865, it extended the railway to Whitehaven, Carnforth, Coniston and Lakeside. The Furness Railway operated as an independent company until December 1922, when it was merged as one of the constituent companies of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway following the Railways Act 1921.