1730 - apprenticed to George Graham, successor to Thomas Tompion, the eminent watchmaker of Water Lane, Fleet Street, London. 1750 - took premises at 151 Fleet Street. 1765 - acted as an expert for the board of longitude. 1768 - supplied Dr Johnson's first watch. 1771 - left active business due to ill health and retired to Plymouth. 1776 - appointed watchmaker to George III.