Newry & Greenore Railway Dundalk 1867 - 1922
- British; Irish
- Dundalk, Louth, Leinster, Ireland
After a previous attempt, in 1863, to establish a railway between the towns of Dundalk and Enniskillen had failed LNWR, in 1867, provided the capital to establish a line that would run from Dundalk to the port of Greenore. In 1868 the LNWR Secretary assumed a similar role in the DNGR and its Head Office moved to Euston. Construction proceeded and a public service began in 1873. The LNWR eventually became the owning company and the provider of its locomotives and stock, the locomotives coming from its Crewe works. The railway passed to the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923 but an agreement was reached in 1933 for the line to be worked by the Great Northern Railway (Ireland). The line closed on 31 December 1951 but was not finally wound up until 1957 by act of consent.