James Swift and Son Limited 1857 - 1969

industry:
Microscope maker,
Optical instrument maker
Nationality:
British

London instrument laboratory of James Swift, founded in 1857; Traded at 43 University St., Tottenham Court Rd., London (1876-1880s) & 81 Tottenham Court Rd. (1881-1910s), earlier as James Swift (w.1853-1876) with later partnership with son, James Mansell Swift, in 1880s(?); By 1914 had become a limited company; 1946 they merged with Adam Hilger and Watts & Son Ltd thereafter doing business as Hilger & Watts Ltd.; Known for its microscopes and its photographic lenses;