Godfrey and Cooke

The chemist was established by Ambrose Godfrey Hanckwitz in 1680 (he dropped his last name when he emigrated to England to be Robert Boyle's assistant); In 1741 his sons Ambrose and John take over the business on their father's death. Godfrey died 1756 and business was taken over by his nephew until the newphew died in 1797. The business was then bought by Charles Gomond Cooke, and became Godfrey and Cooke. A century later that business had lost some of its manufacturing side, and had moved to Conduit Street in the west end of London. The pharmacy then moved to the Royal Arcade, Old Bond Street.