New Cross Hospital 1877

Nationality:
British
based:
Deptford, Lewisham, London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom

Deptford Hospital, Avonley Road, Deptford, was opened on 17 March 1877, by the Metropolitan Asylums Board for admission of pauper patients with smallpox. By 1881, the epidemic was over, but it remained a fever hospital up until 1941. It became the South Eastern Fever Hospital in 1885 and then New Cross General Hospital in 1949. Since circa 1964 it has been known as New Cross Hospital. It closed circa 1991.