J Lancaster and Son 1835 - 1955

industry:
Manufacturer of photographic equipment,
Optician
Nationality:
British
based:
Birmingham, Borough of Birmingham, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom

J Lancaster established as opticians, microscope and telescope manufacturer 1835, Bull Street, Birmingham, by James Lancaster; between 1853 and 1907 located at 37 Colmore Road, Birmingham; managed by William James Lancaster (son) from about 1870 with name changed to J Lancaster & Son; from 1870s began manufacture and sale of cameras, supposedly becoming world's largest camera manufacturer by 1898; become J Lancaster & Son Ltd in 1905; moved to Camera Buildings, Broad Street, Birmingham in 1907; ceased trading in 1955.