Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Deacon Laboratory 1973
- Teddington, Richmond upon Thames, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
Located at: Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Deacon Laboratory, Brook Road, Wormley, Godalming, Surrey, GU8 5UB, United Kingdom
Sir George Deacon (1906-1984) researched underwater acoustics during the war, and in 1944 he led ‘Group W’, a team of scientists at the Admiralty Research Laboratory in Teddington studying ocean waves. The success of Group W was the impetus for the foundation of the National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) under his directorship in 1949. NIO became the Institute of Oceanographic Sciences in 1973.