Bedale & Leyburn Railway 1853 - 1858
This 11.75-mile line, authorized on 4 August 1853, ran from an end-on junction with the YN&BR's Bedale branch, along Wensleydale to Leyburn. The line opened for goods on 24 November 1855, and to passengers on 19 May 1856. It was intended that the North Eastern Railway should work the line, formal Agreement with that company resulting in its taking over with effect from 1 January 1858. The NER extenmded the line via Aysgarth to Hawes where it met a Midland Railways branch from Hawes Junction.