Joseph Kaye & Sons 1855

Nationality:
British
based:
Horsforth, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom

Joseph Kaye & Sons were formed in Horsforth, Leeds, in 1855 and by 1867 had become an incorporated company. Intiially the company were primarilly concerned with the manufacture of oil cans. However, during the latter part of the 19th century, the company began to diversify and eventually specialised in the design and manufacture of Kaye’s patent door locks supplying the architectural and railway industries throughout the United Kingdom.

In 1960 they were bought by the Gloucester Carriage and Wagon Co and then, in 1962, they were purchased by Associated Fire Alarms who closed them down shortly after. But they were reopened between 1970 and 1976 and became Pickersgill Kaye Ltd. In 1997 they had stopped making mortice locks and were concentrating on electronic locks.