Glass ampoules of penicillin

Made:
1944 in England and United States
maker:
Unknown
Ampoule of the First International Standard (1945) of penicillin (1993-1386) & Five ampoules of early crystalline

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Ampoule of the First International Standard (1945) of penicillin (1993-1386) & Five ampoules of early crystalline
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Five ampoules of early crystalline penicillin and one sample of undefined potency collected from Govt. agencies and industrial manufacturers in Britain and the USA by the Dept, of Biological Standards (DBS), National Institute for Medical Research Hampstead in 1944 in order to determine an International Standard.

Each of these glass vials of penicillin was collected from government agencies and industrial manufacturers in United Kingdom and the United States by the Department of Biological Standards at the National Institute for Medical Research in 1944 in order to establish an International Standard. Standardisation of drugs such as penicillin is important to ensure the quantity and quality produced is consistent all over the world.

Details

Category:
Therapeutics
Object Number:
1993-1387
Materials:
cardboard, glass, leather, silk and velvet
Measurements:
overall (fully open): 20 mm x 317 mm x 211 mm,
type:
ampoule
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • container - receptacle
  • vessel
credit:
NIBSC (National Institute for Biological Standards and Control)