Furness Railway steam locomotive 'Coppernob' 0-4-0, No 3, 1846

Made:
1846 in Liverpool
manufacturer:
Bury, Curtis and Kennedy
designer:
Edward Bury

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Furness Railway 0-4-0 No 3 Coppernob, built 1846.
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Furness Railway 0-4-0 No 3 Coppernob built 1846
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Photographer
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Steam locomotive and tender, No 3, 'Coppernob', 0-4-0, for Furness Railway, designed by E Bury, built by Bury, Curtis and Kennedy in 1846, withdrawn in 1900. Length over buffers: 37' 3"; width: 7' 4": weight: 19 1/2 tons; driving wheels 4' 9".

Coppernob – a rare example of a Bury locomotive – was one of a set of four A2 locomotives built by Bury, Curtis and Kennedy Ltd. as the Furness Railway was formed. No.s 1 & 2 were built in 1844, and No.s 3 & 4 in 1846. Due to the domed shape of the copper firebox (characteristic of Bury engines) the class came to be known as the “Coppernobs” with No. 3, the survivor of the original four, later referred to as “Old Coppernob.”

Old Coppernob had a long working life on the Furness railway. It was withdrawn in 1900; most members of this standard type, built by Bury, Curtis and Kennedy Ltd. for other companies, had been removed from service far earlier.

In the early 1900s Old Coppernob was preserved and placed on display in a glass shelter at Barrow Station. It was displayed at the Empire exhibition in Wembley in 1924 and also made a short visit to Birmingham in 1938, but otherwise No. 3 remained at Barrow until 1941 when it was moved to Clapham Transport Museum – later becoming part of the National Collection.

Before moving to Clapham, Old Coppernob suffered during a German air raid over Barrow-in-Furness in 1941. The shrapnel damage to the distinctive copper firebox casing can still be seen today.

In 2014, the locomotive was displayed at Dresden Transport Museum as part of the exhibition “Germany Becomes Mobile,” which celebrated the 175th anniversary of the Leipzig–Dresden railway, due to its similarities to early locomotives built for the line.

On display

National Railway Museum: Great Hall

If you are visiting to see this object, please contact us in advance to make sure that it will be on display.

Related people

Details

Category:
Locomotives and Rolling Stock
Object Number:
1975-7015
Measurements:
length over buffers: 11354 mm,
driving wheel diameter: 1448 mm,
width: 2235 mm
weight: 19813kg
type:
steam locomotive
taxonomy:
  • vehicles and vehicle components
  • vehicle
  • locomotive
credit:
British Rail, Clapham
status:
Permanent collection

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.