Dining Car number 76, London & North Western Railway

Made:
1900

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

West Coast Joint Stock (later LNWR) 1st Class Dining Car No. 76 (Royal Diner).
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

West Coast Joint Stock (later LNWR) 1st Class Dining Car No. 76 (Royal Diner).
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

West Coast Joint Stock (later LNWR) 1st Class Dining Car No. 76 (Royal Diner) - 1998
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Railway carriage, London & North Western Railway, No.76, first class dining car, sometimes used in the Royal Train.

This vehicle was built by the London & North Western Railway at Wolverton Works in 1900.

This particular vehicle was originally listed in the West Coast Joint Stock, jointly owned by the Caledonian Railway and the L&NWR. It was however, almost immediately sent on exhibition to Paris where it won a gold medal for craftsmanship and finish, and on its return was permanently allocated to the Royal Train. The carriage made its first journey with King Edward VII’s new train in 1904, from which time it was in regular use as the principal Royal Train dining car for the next 52 years.

Originally the interior arrangement followed the standard L&NWR end-kitchen pattern with accommodation for 20 first class passengers, all in single seats. In 1938/39 the car body was still in first class order so it was given a new chassis to enable it to run at higher speeds; while in 1942 the fixed seats were removed from one compartment and replaced by the present centre table and armchairs.

Withdrawn in 1956 it was exhibited for many years in the post-war Royal Train livery, a plain dark red colour, firstly in the Museum of British Transport at Clapham and later at York. In 1977 it was taken back to Wolverton for a complete overhaul and repaint, when opportunity was taken to reinstate the L&NWR carmine lake and white colour scheme which it carried from 1900 to 1940. As displayed it now carries the insignia of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway into whose ownership it passed at Grouping in 1923. The L&NWR colours were retained after 1923 by royal request.

Although ‘royal’ by association and use, Dining Saloon No. 76 is an entirely typical turn of the century vehicle and was one of many similar carriages used by all classes of passenger.

On display

Locomotion: The National Railway Museum at Shildon

If you are visiting to see this object, please contact us in advance to make sure that it will be on display.

Details

Category:
Locomotives and Rolling Stock
Object Number:
1975-7032
type:
railway carriage, carriage
taxonomy:
  • vehicles and vehicle components
  • vehicle
  • rolling stock
  • passenger carriage
credit:
British Rail, Historical Relics
status:
Permanent collection

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.